Saturday, September 14, 2013

Git + Tig: Viewing Git history from command line

Git is great. The output from git log is not!

One of my favourite tools to work with git is tig. Among other things tig is a great repository/history viewer for git. If you're on Mac OSX and have homebrew setup then all you need to do to install tig is:
brew install tig

Then go to a git repo on your computer and run tig and you get great output like:


You can see individual commits and where each remote branch is up to. In the above screenshot I am on the master branch and I can see that my remote branch heroku is four commits behind as is origin.

You can also see the diff for any commit:


Here I've selected an individual commit and tig shows me all the changes.

Tig also has a very nice status view. So if you like the above tree view try tig status.


No comments: